YOUTUBE WANTS TO MAKE MORE MONEY
What has happened previously:
Late 2012-mid 2013
Views was replaced by Watchtime as Youtube’s #1 metric.
Clean house – deleting abandoned/fake YT accounts
Tweaked watch-time algorithm by a huge margin
Tweaked validating 301+ views freeze
Changed to One Channel Design
any video posted in Facebook will register 0 in analytics as Facebook shuts down the traffic in 2014
How To Get Your Videos Suggested
Watch time algorithm metric
- Video minutes watched – Get your videos with lots of watch time minutes
- Channel minutes watched (authority) – the more channel minutes, the better chance to get the videos on “browse feature”
- View duration (channel & video) – watched minutes vs audience retention. The higher the audience retention, the better.
- Session duration – if you can bring a user to Youtube, how long do they stay on Youtube? The video that brought them in to YT plus the people that keeps them watching videos over videos to Youtube will benefit most from this
- Session starts – timestamp of where you send them on your video
- Upload frequency
- Session ends penalty – Youtube does not like ending the session (e.g Social media referral). Pass them on to another channel instead and you get the credit for it and don.t get penalized. Make sure to weigh it vs Youtube monetization if it has to be done. Opening another tab while playing a video is the same as ending the session.
HOW DO YOUTUBE MEASURE YOUR CHANNELS PERFORMANCE (AND GET IT TO SUGGESTED VIDEO)
Watch-Time Velocity – this is measured in the last 48 hrs. Tips: Make a follow up on your trending video by following it up with a similar video which has a very similar title, very similar tagging, first line of description is exactly as same keyword (varied a little bit then put on a playlist). New videos should always be put on a playlist.
Important Note: What happens when you upload to youtube – its assesed based on this metric. Do Youtube send it the channel’s subscribers or a huge amount of their subscriber based? – that’s when Youtube algorighthm decides if they want to promote your videos.
Browse features – when you go to youtube.com, that’s what you see on when you browse your homepage videos, either on mobile or computer. Focus should always be on mobile devices.
Important Note: Having ads on your newly published video on Day 1 kills the suggestive engine of Youtube for your video
Upload Frequency – YT cares about the digital asset (unique ID). It is created whenever a new playlist is created or a new video is uploaded.
Viewing History & Behavior – the more time users stay on your channel.
Important Note: Piggy-backing – When you see another video trending that has a similar content as what you have on your old videos(specifically low traffic video), add 1 tag close to the title of that video, change the first line of the description and modify the title of your video. Youtube sees it as related to the trending video and will give it more traffic.
Last upload – deals more with subscribers more than anything else. If you’re last upload has better metrics (engagements, views, etc) Youtube algorithm will trigger to have it suggested. Focus should be given to the thumbnail and the title to have a better video traffic.
Increased Watch-Time Velocity – Continued watch streak. One way of doing it is uploading daily (you can use the strategy of creating new playlist+ uploaded videos for creating new unique IDs). Social media referral traffic is also one way of increasing watch time velocity.
Related Meta information Upload (Your channel + other channels) – combines newly uploaded videos to similar meta videos (does not matter if old videos)
Playlist addition – the most powerful way of getting new audience but also the most under-utilize asset on Youtube.
Important Note: Never share a video, share a video in a playlist (better on a series playlist). Do not create a playlist when you’re uploading a video simply because this creates 2 unique IDs and this goes into your feed, having 2 digital IDs Youtube will promote. Do it on another day (preferably 48hrs)
End-screen Elements – this can help with view velocity from your latest video.
Important Note: use your end-screen element to display your latest video to help with gaining more views.
Source: Derral Eves video