It’s the foundation for site traffic. More keywords equal more traffic and more potential customers.
What’s the difference between a bad and a good keyword research?
Poor keyword research gets less than 100 keywords per site, just »best…« or »…reviews« types of keywords. If we just target buyer’s intent keywords, we are missing out!
Proper keyword research gets 1000+ keywords per site, convert ALL longtails and all sales cycles!
Either use SEMrush or Ahrefs.
Reverse-engineer your competition – insert a keyword and check the top 5 results and export ALL keywords that those 5 URL’s are ranking for. Combine all the results together. This should take an entire day!
Brainstorm the keywords you may have missed. Find thousands of keywords! DO NOT MISS ANY KEYWORD.
Only keep keywords and search volume in your excel document. Copy-paste all your keywords to Text Mechanic Tool called – Remove Duplicate Lines Paste it back to Excel and sort it by search volume.
Lastly, you may want to remove unrelated keywords and determine your main keyword for that page. Determine which ones could be for another article (another sub-page, move to another sheet).
Put different topics into different sheets, each sheet will become a separate sub-page.
Next, take a few of popular keywords and do the process again with those – put it top 5 URL’s that are ranking for that keyword to Ahrefs and export all the keywords that URL is ranking for. Include those keywords in your sheet. REPEAT, REPEAT, REPEAT! Find all keywords.
You can also type a keyword into Google, go down and look for related searches that Google recommends you.
Use Ahrefs to find keywords with featured snippets.
- Google your topic & look at the # 1-page results – what are their headlines?
- Insert the article title and check how many searches it has – in most cases the title will NOT be the main keyword (too long – the main keyword is 2-4 words).
- Find the most popular keyword on that topic – make sure it fits the client avatar and what the article will be about.
- Search that keyword in Google. Make a document where you include the first 10 results for that keyword (all first page results).
- Insert them into Ahrefs ONE BY ONE. Click on keywords to get a list of ALL keywords that the article is