To create an XML site map:
- Download and install Xenu Link Sleuth on your computer.
- Open it and go to “file” and click on “check URL”.
- Paste the URL (the one you want to create an XML site map for) and click “Ok”
- Let the software run, it will usually take between 1 -2 hours (depending on how big the site is)
- After it has finished (you will see at the bottom right hand side corner: 100% done), click on “file”, then on “Create google site map” and save it with this name “sitemap” (note: use small case letters and don’t use spaces between words).
Now that you have the XML site map created, you must replace it on the website and this is process you must follow:
- Go to Filezilla and connect to the server where your website is hosted.
- Click on the applications folder, open the website’s database folder and then open the public_html folder (this is the root folder) and upload the new site map into this folder by dragging the file from the bottom left pane (your computer’s files) and dropping it into the bottom right pane (the website’s files).
- When the file transfer (upload) has been completed, a message will display to alert you that the transfer has been finished.